Alltrans - ADA
Allegany County Transit operates the Alltrans, a demand response service for senior citizens and the ADA paratransit persons with disabilities who are unable to ride fixed route transit system.
Senior Citizens: This is curb-to-curb demand response service for senior citizens. Medical trips are prioritized, and other trips are provided on a space-available basis. Passenger trips will be coordinated to serve as many people as possible and to use our vehicles in the most efficient manner.
Persons with Disabilities: ADA Paratransit service is provided only to persons with disabilities that prevent them from using accessible fixed-route transit system and is available only within ¾ of a mile from ACT fixed routes. ADA Paratransit service is provided during the same days and hours as our fixed-route bus services. Trip purposes are unrestricted.
ADA Paratransit is a service provided only to individuals with disabilities who are unable to ride accessible fixed-route public bus service because of their disability. ADA Paratransit service is designed to ensure that the civil rights of these individuals are guaranteed as protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). ADA Paratransit is comparable to ACT's fixed-route bus service in terms of service area, days and hours of service, fares and response time as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and subsequent rulings of the U. S. Department of Transportation. Passenger trips will be coordinated to serve as many people as possible and to use our vehicles in the most efficient manner Passengers must be certified as ADA Paratransit eligible before ADA Paratransit service can be scheduled, with the exception of visitors. These individuals are eligible for temporary visitor status and do not need to be recertified by ACT unless they will be using the service more than 21 days during the calendar year.
Call Alltrans at 301-724-1255 between 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, at least one (1) business day before your appointment time (reservations are accepted up to 14 days in advance). Hearing-impaired customers can use the Maryland Relay System, 711, to contact Alltrans to schedule a trip.
When you call to schedule your trip, please be pre-pared to give the dispatcher the following information.
Your daytime telephone number and a telephone number where you can be reached at least 60 minutes prior to travel time.
The date on which you would like to make the trip.
Where and when you would like to be picked up.
Where and when you need to be dropped off.
The time you wish to return, if a return trip is needed.
Special assistance needed or other considerations (for example, if you use a wheelchair or travel with a PCA or service animal).
Whether or not an additional companion will be traveling with you.
Trips will not be scheduled until complete trip information is received. Your trip may be scheduled up to one hour (60 minutes) earlier or one hour (60 minutes) later than your requested pick-up time or drop-off time in order to serve as many people as possible and use our vehicles in the most efficient manner.
The dispatcher will schedule your trip and let you know when you should be ready to be picked up.
If you live outside of ACT's service area, once you reach a destination within the service area and ¾ mile from a fixed route you can use our service .
If you change your mind or are unable to make your scheduled trip, please let the dispatcher know as soon as possible, at least 1 hour before your scheduled trip for emergencies and by 4 pm the previous day for non-emergency reasons. If you do not cancel your trip in advance, it will be considered a "no show" (see "No Show" Policy) and could result in suspension of service.
If you do not cancel your trip in advance, it will be considered a "no-show" When you are considered a "no show" the return trip, if scheduled, will be cancelled and you will be charged for the fare for the scheduled no show trip. If your fare is not paid for 3 (three) "no shows" in a 12 month period you will be suspended to schedule future service until your balance is paid. For information about paying your "no show" balance please call the Alltrans office.
The hours of operation for Alltrans are the same as fixed route service hours.
There will be NO BUS SERVICE on:
|Thursday, July 24, 2014|
|Monday, September 1, 2014|
Veteran’s Day (observed)
|Tuesday, November 11, 2014|
|Thursday, November 27, 2014|
Day After Thanksgiving
|Friday, November 28, 2014|
|Wednesday, December 24, 2014|
|Thursday, December 25, 2014|
New Year’s Eve
|Wednesday, December 31, 2014|
New Year’s Day
|Thursday, January 1, 2015|
Martin Luther King’s Birthday (observed)
|Monday, January 19, 2015|
Memorial Day (observed)
|Monday, May 25, 2015|
Independence Day (observed)
|Friday, July 3, 2015|
|Monday, September 7, 2015|
|Wednesday, November 11, 2015|
$3.00 flat rate, each way.
Each time you board the vehicle you must pay the fare in exact change or buy a punch card. PCA's will not be charged a fare.
Punch Cards are $27.50 each for $30.00 worth of rides and are sold through the mail or in person at ACT, or online.
Send a check or money order payable to Allegany County Transit, stating the number of punch cards, and a returning address to:
Allegany County Transit
1000 LaFayette Ave.
Cumberland, Maryland 21502
Tickets may be purchased at the ACT office at the above address Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm 4:00 pm Cash or checks pay-able to Allegany County Transit are accepted.
*Online: Buy Now Here
Visit gov.alleganygov.org/act to purchases passes securely using your credit card. We will ship passes to you at the address you specify within two business days. You should expect to receive your order within 5-7 business days. All prices include postage and credit card transaction fee of 2.75%.
ADA Paratransit is available within a ¾ mile radius of ACT's fixed bus routes. Origins and destinations outside of this service area will not be served by ADA Paratransit. ADA Paratransit will provide a level of service that is comparable to the regular fixed-route bus service.
To determine if you are in the Alltrans Service Area, type in a street address and zip code (i.e.: 1000 Lafayette Ave, 21502). The blue area is the Monday- Friday Alltrans Service Area and the light green area is the Alltrans Service area on Tuesdays and Fridays only. If you are deemed eligible for the service and your address falls outside of the service area, you may still use the service if you are picked up in a location inside the service area and Alltrans will provide service.
View Larger Map
ACT is not responsible for items left on the bus. However, items found on the bus will be brought to the office and kept in our lost and found for one month. You may pick up your lost item, upon identification, at the ACT office at 1000 Lafayette Avenue, Cumberland, MD during office hours 8am - 4pm, Monday – Friday. Please call 301-722-6360 to be sure your item(s) have been found items not claimed after a one month period may be disposed of or given to charity.
Safety is an ACT priority.
Allow all passengers to exit the vehicle before you attempt to board.
Have your fare ready.
Seatbelts are required on all passengers while riding ACT vehicles!
Specialized seating area behind the driver must be made available to the elderly and disabled.
Please do not talk to the driver while the bus is in service, and remain seated while the bus is in motion.
Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before removing your seatbelt and moving about the vehicle.
You may exit to the front of the vehicle.
- FARE: Passengers must pay the fare upon boarding the vehicle. Drivers do not carry change.
- SEATBELTS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL PASSENGERS.
- Children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Age 5 and under ride at no charge.
- PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES & OBJECTS: For the comfort of all passengers, smoking or chew tobacco, eating, drinking, and using illegal substances in ACT vehicles are prohibited. Weapons of any kind are not permitted on transit vehicles.
- AUDIO DEVICES: Passengers may not play an audio device unless using a headset and keeping the volume low so that others are not disturbed.
- CELL PHONES: Cell phone conversations must be kept at a low, private volume as to not disturb other passengers or the driver.
- SOCIALIZING WITH DRIVER: Passengers may not socialize with the driver while the bus is in service. The driver's attention must be on safe driving.
- LANGUAGE & BEHAVIOR: Abusive or offensive language or behavior is not permitted on the ACT vehicles or property. Interfering with a transit driver is against the law.
- DANGEROUS A driver may refuse to transport a passenger(s) who appear(s) to be under the influence of alcohol, illegal or dangerous substances, or whose behavior or language appears abusive, threatening, offensive, disorderly or dangerous to him, the driver, or other passengers. The driver may refuse transport at any point either prior to boarding or during a trip.
- PACKAGES: Passengers shall not carry articles onto a transit vehicle, which cannot be held or secured by the passenger. Passengers shall not place articles in the aisles of the ACT vehicle. (Alltrans: 3 package limit.)
- STROLLERS: Strollers are permitted on transit vehicles only if folded. Please fold the stroller before boarding and carry your child on the bus. Blocking the aisles of ACT vehicles is prohibited.
- BICYCLES: Folding bicycles are allowed on ACT vehicles. As with pet carriers, folding bicycles cannot take up seating space or obstruct the aisle. It must be carried on and restrained by the passenger.
- SERVICE ANIMALS & PETS: Service animals, which have been trained to perform a specific task/service, are permitted on board transit vehicles.
- Small pets, in carriers designed and manufactured for pet transport, are allowed on board at no additional cost. The carrier cannot take up seating or obstruct the aisle and must be able to be carried on by the passenger. Animals at-large or on a leash or harness (other than service dogs) are not allowed.
- ACT reserves the right to require any passenger with an animal that acts aggressively or poses a threat to others to exit immediately at a safe location.